Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wolf steel case 223 ammo . Any one run this through their AR 's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wolf steel case 223 ammo . Any one run this through their AR 's

    Target has this in stock and a friend was asking me about it . I only run 762 x 39 through saigas . Any issues with this stuff in an AR platform ?

    #2
    Most of my ARs used to (because I don't have any anymore, ya hear me ATF?) shoot it fine. I had one that the cases would stick every now and then.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by raceradam View Post
      Most of my ARs used to (because I don't have any anymore, ya hear me ATF?) shoot it fine. I had one that the cases would stick every now and then.
      Why would the ATF care about NYS laws??

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by artburg View Post

        Why would the ATF care about NYS laws??
        You're kidding, right? Because soon they won't just be NYS laws.

        Guess you missed this thread?! https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...bills-for-2021
        Last edited by raceradam; 01-08-2021, 10:01 AM.

        Comment


          #5
          My first AR is pushing 10K of almost exclusively Russian steel case. Other than me fucking around with it by changing parts, I had maybe two malfunctions, and one was me not seating a mag properly while in a hurry during a MDTS Carbine class. I was also #2 in accuracy in said class.

          I had one single round out of an ooolllddd box of Wolf black box that wouldn't go off. The primer was in backwards. Heard it would happen every now and again back when.

          Still on my original extractor. Never had a case stick.

          Might change your point of impact if you zeroed with brass. Groups a little bigger, but if you're missing, it ain't the ammo.

          If your AR is not running right on steel case, there is something wrong with it. Fix it. Again, it ain't the ammo.
          Steve

          Comment


          • Whitefoot
            Whitefoot commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks

          #6
          Steve

          Comment


            #7
            https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bra...el-cased-ammo/

            These guys shot a ton of steel and compared it to brass, long story short the steel is hardest on the barrel bc the projectile doesn't have a copper jacket. However, the barrel was shot out around 6k rounds, and the savings shooting steel instead of brass more than paid for a new barrel. Definitely worth checking out all the data they have.

            Ryan

            Comment


              #8
              Originally posted by nyctpt View Post
              https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bra...el-cased-ammo/

              These guys shot a ton of steel and compared it to brass, long story short the steel is hardest on the barrel bc the projectile doesn't have a copper jacket. However, the barrel was shot out around 6k rounds, and the savings shooting steel instead of brass more than paid for a new barrel. Definitely worth checking out all the data they have.

              Ryan
              They were shot out at 6K because of the rate of fire. My crappy, but chrome lined barrel has had no noticeable drop in accuracy approaching 10K, (same as the guy in the above video) but I'm usually shooting it at MF with a RDS or irons. It's certainly not keyholing yet.

              Even if you assume steel case is now only $0.10/rd cheaper than brass, I've not only saved enough for a new barrel, but enough for a more than decent new AR.
              Steve

              Comment


                #9
                Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post

                They were shot out at 6K because of the rate of fire. My crappy, but chrome lined barrel has had no noticeable drop in accuracy approaching 10K, (same as the guy in the above video) but I'm usually shooting it at MF with a RDS or irons. It's certainly not keyholing yet.

                Even if you assume steel case is now only $0.10/rd cheaper than brass, I've not only saved enough for a new barrel, but enough for a more than decent new AR.
                Rate of fire definitely did play a part, but the way I understand it most of the steel stuff has a bi-metal jacket which is much harder than copper. I could be wrong though. I'd shoot as much steel as I could afford the way things are now. Same with pistols. If it's harder on the gun it'll pay for new parts in savings.

                Ryan

                Comment


                  #10
                  I never had a problem shooting Russian Wolf Tula Brown Bear etc. with my ARs, my CZ75, my M1 carbine etc. I did some testing of accuracy at Calverton a decade ago and found the Wolf 5.56 grouped better at 100 yds than Winchester White Box or Remington UMC, it just dropped about 3 or 4 inches. (50 rds of each) Never had a FTF and I only recall one FTE/jam, which was easily dislodged.

                  Comment


                    #11
                    I have a case of Wolf but have only shot a box or so of it and it cycled fine. Herter's, on the other hand, sticks in the chamber and has to be knocked out with a rod.
                    "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                    Tucker Max

                    Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                    Finicky Fat Guy

                    Comment


                      #12
                      I’ve seen rifles chew it up without a problem and I have seen some that can’t get past 3 rounds without issues.

                      YMMV

                      Comment


                        #13
                        All the time as with many things depends on the make, upper, specific tolerances.

                        some of my ARs eat it up no problem, some have FTE /FTF etc just like in the preban days a lot of mags wouldn’t seat properly in some lowers. Israeli orlites wouldn’t seat in bushy lowers (known issue) Its trial and error with ammo and different platforms.

                        Comment


                          #14
                          I only shoot steel out of my ARs. All I ever shot out of them. They are cheap PSA builds. So if I break an extractor I don’t care, But I never did. Never had a issue with steel. Must have shot thousands of rounds

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X