Stupid question but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid question but...

Anyone familiar on the legality of this?

https://uspatriotarmory.com/store/Fe...-10-p183277742

The grip angle is exactly the same as a thordsen, and I'm aware of the ambiguity of the law and all.

All you’re gonna get are guesses. Mine is.... we don’t know until someone in NY has to go to court over it.
    If someone could shove an AR receiver into an M14 stock, the way Ruger did with the Mini14 then you’d be GTG.... until some asshole changes the law again.
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Notice how they mention the "new california law", but then nothing about NY?

Comment

Read the SAFE act: does the gun have a pistol grip? Does it extend conspicuously below the action?
        OR, read between the lines as follows: does the grip, if legal allow NY's to own AR's? Is so, IMHO it is presumptively going to be hated by the authorities,

The simple distinction the Thordsen has is that the grip and the stock are joined and in one piece like in a conventional Fudd semi auto, like the Remington 7400 or Ruger 10/22 wooden stock gun.
        The SAFE act was designed to not ban those Fudd guns, therefore, IMHO a Thordsen is presumptively legit as it mimics the lines of a Fudd gun.

I am not your lawyer and don't take legal advice from the internet.
        Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

NY State Penal Law

265 Definitions:

22. “Assault weapon” means

(a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

If you think that because it's angled back more than a traditional 'pistol grip' that it no longer fits the Penal Law - that would be your defense. Personally, I wouldn't try to convince a NY jury or Judge that one is a pistol grip and the other isn't - especially when it came to my freedom/bank account.

Dan 0351
          Instructor/Collector
          Last edited by Dan 0351; 01-11-2022, 06:49 PM.
          “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
          Algernon Blackwood

Comment

• Dan 0351
            Dan 0351
            Instructor/Collector
            Dan 0351 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's come up so many times before. "in a clearly visible way" has been used to define it here, but I don't know about case law.

• LI Ammo
            LI Ammo
            Gunseller
            LI Ammo commented
            Editing a comment
            Dan, one clarification, the Safe Act says ONE characteristic, you quoted the old law when you posted TWO characteristics.
            If the rifle is semi-auto and has a detachable magazine, it cannot proceed to the next step, any ONE characteristic blows it up..

• Dan 0351
            Dan 0351
            Instructor/Collector
            Dan 0351 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good catch - fixed it.
        Working...
        X