Garands...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garands...

Im burnt out on plastic and aluminium, need some iron and wood.

My knowledge of garands is as follows:

Put the thing in the thing, get thumb the fuck out, pull trigger. Rinse, repeat.
    I know CMP is the less expensive way to do it, but im impatient and lazy.

That brings us to either buying one local or ordering a Fulton.
    Im partial to the (not historically correct) tankers, they just seem like a much handier rifle, although im not fixed to that.

Whats the better option for a shooter? Idgaf about beat up wood, or dinged metal, just want a good solid work horse.

What should I look for, and what size of hole should I expect in my wallet?

Even if you don't make the buy there, I would strongly recommend heading over to LRB in Floral Park. They produce some fine rifles there. I asked about apprenticing there for free years back and they didn't have need of my services. I would still be the cleaning lady there for free just to learn what i could.

Comment

Go on the cmp forum.

Theres a sellers market and people have been selling garands. Looking at $1,200-1,600 for a decent one.

Otherwise youre paying through the nose at Fulton armory.

Comment

Well right now the CMP is not taking orders for Garands in 30-06. They have a 5 to 6 month backlog. They are going to be taking orders again once they catch up. You'll do no better than them for pricing.

If you are willing to purchase a rifle in .308, then you would get it form them in a couple of weeks.for $,1030.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Definitely head out to Orion7. Mike at Orion7 writes or publishes the magazine for The Garand Collectors Club, and really knows his stuff. If you know nothing about Garands and want to learn something, you'll do no better than them. Orion7 always has a bunch of Garands in stock and you can get exactly what you want. His prices are definitely higher than the CMP, but you can handle it and get it right away.

I' have zero affiliation with Orion7. I've bought a bunch of odd caliber ammo from him and he has been a wealth of knowledge for me.

http://www.m1garand.com/

Comment

I think most local shops have Garands but the ones that don't fly out the door fairly quickly are likely shot to hell or most of the way there. But I would start with the better local shops first. You never know what you might find. But don't buy anything until you visit Orion 7 in Rocky Point. They're certainly your best bet at finding something local.
          http://www.m1garand.com/

I think the CMP has temporarily suspended taking orders. Major backlog. If you go the CMP route, I strongly recommend getting a Special Grade. It's like a new rifle for about a grand. That's a bargain, IMO.
          • To be human is to be armed.
          • Social media are the "Assault Weapons" of the First Amendment.
          • Ideology is the enemy of intellect.

Comment

.308 is the way to go. M80 ball rounds are .25 cheaper than M2 ball ammo (30-06)

Comment

If you don't need real pretty, or better than 3 MOA accurate, there's plenty available locally. Karps has a few, Chester's probably has stock, Orion 7 will have (and are great for an education,) Fulton sells a good product at 1900 and up. If you want a tanker, look at Shuff's Mini-G (1600 + about 3 months). I'm going to send a rifle to them to convert soon ( I have an 'extra')
              Karp's started at around 1100 if I recall correctly.
              For me, 30 06 is the way to go, I have an M1a for 308's
              NRA Patron Life Member
              Caribou R&P Club Range Officer
              NRA RSO

Comment

Originally posted by dougfxdl View Post
                If you don't need real pretty, or better than 3 MOA accurate, there's plenty available locally. Karps has a few, Chester's probably has stock, Orion 7 will have (and are great for an education,) Fulton sells a good product at 1900 and up. If you want a tanker, look at Shuff's Mini-G (1600 + about 3 months). I'm going to send a rifle to them to convert soon ( I have an 'extra')
                Karp's started at around 1100 if I recall correctly.
                For me, 30 06 is the way to go, I have an M1a for 308's
                I'm sending in one garand to Shuff for a mini g as well. saving up the money to convert it to .308 and have him convert an extra op rod for me as well as a back up.

Comment

Try this guy in Oyster Bay
                  http://www.obiantiquefirearms.com/
                  The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

I have one in 308 with some match parts on it . if your interested pm me and well talk , it is in nice shape

Comment

Working...
                    X