Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini 14 or Mini 30 ?? whats a better round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini 14 or Mini 30 ?? whats a better round?

My brother in law asked me what a better round would be to buy. I really could not answer him. He is not a hunter ,he said he wanted it in case of a "Holy War" or Civil Unrest to the point people have to protect themselves. I told him what I know, the 223 is lighter,allowing you to carry more ammo. The ammo is cheaper. The 7.62 is a more powerful round, will let you reach out further that a 223.although it has its limits with a carbine length barrel. How ever the round will do more damage when it hits someone.It will likely sit in his closet get shot at the range once a year ,cleaned and put back.

Your thoughts??

AR15

Comment

It's not a question of which is a better round. Given those two choices, I'd be more concerned over which one can eat the available ammo in their caliber. The cheaper Russian ammo in an American rifle (Mini 30) may not be the easy fit it is in an SKS or Saiga.
      Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Mini 14 fires 5.56/223 and is better accuracy and longer range. Cartridge is lighter but not as "powerful" as the larger 7.62/30cal round

The mini 30 fires a 7.62x39 round not a 7.62x51/308. For that he should get a M1A which may not be such a bad choice either.
        Last edited by E; 06-17-2016, 07:58 AM.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that the inexpensive 7.62x39 is imported. It can be banned by executive order. So if you're buddy is going to go that way he needs to buy it cheap and stack it deep.

It has also been my, limited, experience that Minis in 5.56 have a slight edge in reliability.
          ​​​​​

Comment

The Russian round isn't nearly as capable at distance as the .223/5.56 NATO round. Due to much higher velocity and bullet design the .223 is vastly better at long distance, so much so that the rifle/ammo combo excels at 1,000 yard Service rifle competitions. At shorter distances the .223 loaded with non FMJ is a very efficient knock down/ killing round.
            It also penetrates very well. For U.S. Military tests the 5.56 round needed to penetrate a steel helmet at 600 yards and it passed the test. The 7.62x39 couldn't accomplish that feat.

The renowned Col. Townsend Whelen once said, "Only accurate rifles are interesting". I agree with the Colonel and that's why I prefer the U.S. Rifle/round.
            "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

Originally posted by C6NY View Post
              The Russian round isn't nearly as capable at distance as the .223/5.56 NATO round. Due to much higher velocity and bullet design the .223 is vastly better at long distance, so much so that the rifle/ammo combo excels at 1,000 yard Service rifle competitions. At shorter distances the .223 loaded with non FMJ is a very efficient knock down/ killing round.
              It also penetrates very well. For U.S. Military tests the 5.56 round needed to penetrate a steel helmet at 600 yards and it passed the test. The 7.62x39 couldn't accomplish that feat.

The renowned Col. Townsend Whelen once said, "Only accurate rifles are interesting". I agree with the Colonel and that's why I prefer the U.S. Rifle/round.
              Isn't 500 yards considered the typical top end for battle range? I'm not talking about snipers. OP's concerned with SHTF situation.
              Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

• C6NY
                C6NY commented
                Editing a comment
                Other then fact that the .223 couple be fired more quickly, accurately due to less recoil in the event of a hoarde of, let's call them zombies to be PC about it. it wouldn't really matter to me which one I was holding. Except for shots from 100-200 yards I would prefer the .223 due to its better accuracy at that distance. IMO.

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

Isn't 500 yards considered the typical top end for battle range? I'm not talking about snipers. OP's concerned with SHTF situation.
              Op stated in his first post that the 7.62x39 could 'reach out further' then the .223. I was addressing that. I also gave my opinion on closer ranges(SHTF) scenarios.
              "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

• Barnslayer
                Barnslayer commented
                Editing a comment
                Any opinion on close in (less than 200 yds) capabilities between the two? I'm thinking Ferguson or Baltimore without any police or N.G. presence. To me that's the real SHTF scenario other than hunting for food.
                Looks like you answered this on a previous post. Also, I realize I deviated from the OP's original inquiry.
                Last edited by Barnslayer; 06-17-2016, 10:41 AM.

223/556 for the reliabitity factor for the win..............

Comment

I'm partial to the 7.62Soviet, however the Mini 14 platform was designed for the 223Remington. Reliability concerns alone would determine my decision in a SHTF tool. I would choose the 223/556 chambering.

Comment

I have .223 cals Mini's and love them. I've wanted to get a 7.62x39 version, but I heard that there was malfunction problems with them. Anyone have info on that?
                  "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

• E
                    E commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I only know what I have read - They sometimes have issues with the firing pin length and strength on steel cased ammo. Replacing the pin usually does the trick.

• BLAMMO!!
                    BLAMMO!! commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Why not get another Mini in .300 Blackout? Similar ballistics to 7.62x39 and you can use the mags you already have for your .223/5.56.

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
                  I have .223 cals Mini's and love them. I've wanted to get a 7.62x39 version, but I heard that there was malfunction problems with them. Anyone have info on that?
                  My dad got a mini 30 like 6 or so years ago. It's a jam o matic.

Comment

Both.

Then get another in .300 Blackout (whenever Ruger gets around to offering it without the muzzle device). It takes the same mags as the .223/5.56. Ruger mags are outrageously expensive.
                    Last edited by BLAMMO!!; 06-17-2016, 11:38 AM.
                    • To be human is to be armed.
                    • Ideology is the nemesis of intellect.
                    • Social media are the "Assault Weapons" of the First Amendment.

Comment

He thanks you for the replies , the 223/5.56 is the clearly better choice in this case. The M1 would be even better, however,I don't know that double the price is what he wants.ammo costs. ( my opinion is how much is your life worth) however it's his money. I tend to buy Custom shop or proformance center lever. I know there's better but that's what I could afford.

Comment

hand gun for 0 -50 yards , mini 30 for 50 to 200 yards ,200 yards and beyond M1A,
                        i have the mini 30 sold the 14. the blackout version is available without muzzle device. a few deer fell to the mini 30. mine never jams with whatever stuff i put in it. with quality ammo that you can use now , and no pistol grips allowed any more (ooooh scarryyyyy) use the 7.62x39 buy enough range ammo and hunting / defense ammo . how much do you really need , if you go can you carry 1000 of either ???

Comment

Working...
                        X