Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning without Stripping (Various Rifles)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoy cleaning my guns. I find it very relaxing.
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
      I enjoy cleaning my guns. I find it very relaxing.
      I'm gonna have to bite the bullet. I hate working with small pieces. Always afraid of losing something or fucking it up.

Comment

A small magnetic tray helps for small parts like pins, screws, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by NG9588 View Post
          A small magnetic tray helps for small parts like pins, screws, etc.
          Yea and finding the right youtube videos to put it all back together.

Comment

Originally posted by HulkSmash22 View Post

I'm gonna have to bite the bullet. I hate working with small pieces. Always afraid of losing something or fucking it up.
            Cover an empty table with a white bath towel (an old one so you don’t catch shit for it). Get all your supplies and tools together. Review the how to manual or video. Get to it. Knowing that each part is clean and in good shape goes a long way to reliability.
            Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Take your own pictures during disassembly.

Comment

Cover an empty table with a white bath towel (an old one so you don’t catch shit for it). Get all your supplies and tools together. Review the how to manual or video. Get to it. Knowing that each part is clean and in good shape goes a long way to reliability.
                I used to use those reusable hospital cloth bed chucks, now I just use the disposable “wee wee pads”. You can get them by the case on amazon. When you’re done, roll up all the used patches and such and toss it.

Comment

Not ideally but the only option with some firearms. There are rod guides to minimize muzzle damage on rifles. Using a fiberglass rod instead of a metal one helps too.
                  Make sure that if you're gonna stick a bore brush into the muzzle from the opposite end (muzzle end thru to receiver), that the guide rod rotates on the "T" handle after you've secured the brush on to the guide rod. This will ensure that bore brush DOES NOT rotate against the rotation of the rifling grooves when ramming back and forth thru the bore. There are some cheap ass cleaning kit rods that don't do this; throw that out and get yourself a rotating one.

The GSG-5 22 being a 22, will definitely require more frequent disassembly and cleaning then the High Point. Definitely watch a few videos on this as the H&K style takedown is a little tricky; so get used to cleaning it or you will have issues with it sooner than later (FTF's, etc.).
                  To be honest the High Point is not the easiest to takedown either.
                  Last edited by SemiAutoFetish; 03-10-2020, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SemiAutoFetish View Post

Make sure that if you're gonna stick a bore brush into the muzzle from the opposite end (muzzle end thru to receiver), that the guide rod rotates on the "T" handle after you've secured the brush on to the guide rod. This will ensure that bore brush DOES NOT rotate against the rotation of the rifling grooves when ramming back and forth thru the bore. There are some cheap ass cleaning kit rods that don't do this; throw that out and get yourself a rotating one.

The GSG-5 22 being a 22, will definitely require more frequent disassembly and cleaning then the High Point. Definitely watch a few videos on this as the H&K style takedown is a little tricky; so get used to cleaning it or you will have issues with it sooner than later (FTF's, etc.).
                    Yea the hi point is my bigger concern. I watched a few videos on the GSG last night and I’m fairly confident I can do it. I’m assuming (and hoping) I don’t have to take the bolt assembly apart. That ones it’s out of the receiver I can just clean the shit out of it as is. I’m gonna try to call hi point today and see if they can tell me how to clean and oil it without disassembling. That things supposed to run through dirt so I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Can you explain the guide/rotation thing in a little more detail?

Comment

Originally posted by SemiAutoFetish View Post

Mine doesn’t seem to rotate. I guess my question is, if it rotates, how do you eventually stop it from rotating so you can remove it from the T handle? Just trying to make sure I understand so that I buy the right stuff. Since I’m not doing it until the weekend amazon prime is my friend. Any suggestions on a complete kit that has bore brushes, jags and rod? Or is it best to piece it out? Calibers I have are 22, 9, 40, 223/556 and 12 gauge.

Comment

Mine doesn’t seem to rotate. I guess my question is, if it rotates, how do you eventually stop it from rotating so you can remove it from the T handle? Just trying to make sure I understand so that I buy the right stuff. Since I’m not doing it until the weekend amazon prime is my friend. Any suggestions on a complete kit that has bore brushes, jags and rod? Or is it best to piece it out? Calibers I have are 22, 9, 40, 223/556 and 12 gauge.
                        Just hold the rod with your fingers from rotating. The brush should just be screwed on to the rod until it stops (no "torquing" needed). Outters cleaning kits typically use this type of rod

Comment

Not to be a snob but shoot the hi point until it jams and throw it away. Just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by Rrudo74901 View Post
                            Not to be a snob but shoot the hi point until it jams and throw it away. Just sayin
                            BTW....they have a GREAT warranty policy on these they'll take pretty much anything back!

Comment

Rifles might be different, but I have never disassembled my first 870, and it still runs great! I do remove the barrel, and I move the bolt around so that I can reach in to wipe the internals. Handguns are the same way. I've never disassembled any of them other than barrel, slide, spring.

If you don't take the whole thing apart, the hardest part of cleaning is getting yourself set up and cleaned up. The process is relaxing, as long as you don't take literally the phrase, "...until the patch comes out clean."

Comment

I’m not a fan of the boresnake. I bought one but then wondered about cleaning it. I use the traditional bronze brush, patches etc.
                                For shotgun I use a one piece fiberglass rod for the brush and a wood dowel for the patch. It saves time of swopping rod attachments or needing two rods.
                                Snakes are great! You can wash them with dish soap and water. I used to do it outside with the boss of a bucket. Now I do it in the bathroom sink because I don't have a slop sink. (Sorry environment!). Then I squeeze out the water and hang them in my basement to dry.

I do agree that a rod in from the muzzle end will pull just the same. It might not go as quickly, but there is no cleanup since you just throw the patches away.
                                Last edited by Range Time; 03-12-2020, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X