Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning without Stripping (Various Rifles)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HulkSmash22
    replied
    Originally posted by Ancap View Post
    Thank you. I was up late last night researching and I have it down to 3. The Remington, the Otis Elite and the Gloryfire Elite. I’m leaning toward the Gloryfire because it has both rods and cables. But I can’t find anything on the company itself and from their writing on amazon, it seems to me like it most likely is a foreign manufacturer. Any input from you guys? All 3 kits will do multiple calibers which I have. I liked the idea of having a rod but not sure if I need one. Or I could just add a rod to anything. Otis seems to have a lot of proprietary stuff that people seem to love but it is pretty expensive. Anyone care to weigh in?

Leave a comment:

• FDEMTNYC
    replied
    Originally posted by HulkSmash22 View Post

I will google this. Thank you!
    My wife bought me a Remington cleaning kit/bag which contains both brushes and squeegees for just about every common caliber. I can attest that the squeegees work great. Just have a rag or paper towel at the end because the solvent or CLP will splash.

Leave a comment:

• Ancap
    replied

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bv8aZwfNwU

Leave a comment:

• HulkSmash22
    replied
    Originally posted by Ancap View Post
    Remington squeege system dramatically reduces the times to clean your barrel

matter of fact only use solvent once and the squeege removes everything pretty much in one pass through

Leave a comment:

• LiDad
    replied
    Originally posted by Range Time View Post

They are beyond awesome as a field cleaner, which is how I use them now when I don't have time for a full cleaning.
    I've run snake down a barrel several times, then run a swab w/solvent on a rod and it comes back filthy.

I can see it useful for out hunting or some kind of event where you only have time for a Q&D cleaning.

But otherwise not.

Leave a comment:

• Range Time
    replied
    Originally posted by LiDad View Post

I see no good use for a bore snake.

For a quick field cleaning perhaps. But nowhere near as a good as a rod and swab.
    They are beyond awesome as a field cleaner, which is how I use them now when I don't have time for a full cleaning.

Leave a comment:

• Barnslayer
    replied
    Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
    "recommends". Once again they refuse to plainly state what the law requires.

Leave a comment:

• vmtcmt
    replied
    Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
    https://www.pdcn.org/DocumentCenter/View/113

Page 37 of the NC Handbook
    Screenshot 2020-01-16 at 20.06.28.png

Do with this what you will.

Leave a comment:

• Ancap
    replied
    Remington squeege system dramatically reduces the times to clean your barrel

matter of fact only use solvent once and the squeege removes everything pretty much in one pass through

Leave a comment:

• LiDad
    replied
    Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

I’m not a fan of the boresnake. I bought one but then wondered about cleaning it. I use the traditional bronze brush, patches etc.
    For shotgun I use a one piece fiberglass rod for the brush and a wood dowel for the patch. It saves time of swopping rod attachments or needing two rods.
    I see no good use for a bore snake.

For a quick field cleaning perhaps. But nowhere near as a good as a rod and swab.

Leave a comment:

• NG9588
    replied

But won't I run into an issue with them shipping it back to me, being I'm in NY?
    Guns can be shipped directly to and from you to the original manufacturer for warranty work, no FFL required. If the gun is a registered “assault weapon” per the safe act then it is legal for you to own, although I don’t know how high point would feel about sending it into New York. You’d have to ask them directly. If it’s not registered, well probably shouldn’t poke the bear. Those high point carbines are honestly tanks though. My uncle has one upstate that probably hasn’t been cleaned in 20 years and it goes bang everytime, not that I’m recommending leaving a gun uncleaned for that long.

Leave a comment:

• HulkSmash22
    replied
    Originally posted by 2wheelbliss View Post

I think that was my problem when I first started. I went thru tons of patches and the patch still didn't come out clean. What constitutes as clean anyway. I've since kind of stopped when the patches had some little bit of discoloration then stopped. I don't like cleaning them but I know it's a necessary evil.
    I have a GSG too, haven't taken apart that sucker at all as it was too involved. I spray some CLP over anything I can reach run a bore snake thru it a few times and done.
    OK, so I was thinking about this. I know this may sound like an absurd question, but what would happen, say on the Hi-Point (I've come to terms with taking apart the GSG) if I just sprayed a ton of say, Gibbs or Shooters lube into the action and the barrel. Ran patches through the barrel and dried up everything in the action I could reach with patches and Q-tips? Could I really fuck the gun up?

Leave a comment:

• HulkSmash22
    replied
    Originally posted by Postal Bob View Post

That and youtube are your best friend.

Also, if you store your guns for a long time after shooting, you really should clean them after you shoot. Carbon buildup will attract moisture over time, which creates sludge and rust.
    Bingo. Thats exactly my problem here.

Leave a comment:

• HulkSmash22
    replied
    Originally posted by SemiAutoFetish View Post

BTW....they have a GREAT warranty policy on these they'll take pretty much anything back!
    But won't I run into an issue with them shipping it back to me, being I'm in NY?

Leave a comment:

• Barnslayer
    replied
    Originally posted by 2wheelbliss View Post

I think that was my problem when I first started. I went thru tons of patches and the patch still didn't come out clean. What constitutes as clean anyway. I've since kind of stopped when the patches had some little bit of discoloration then stopped. I don't like cleaning them but I know it's a necessary evil.
    I have a GSG too, haven't taken apart that sucker at all as it was too involved. I spray some CLP over anything I can reach run a bore snake thru it a few times and done.
    Keep in mind the brush leaves a residue that can turn the patch blue/ green. An aluminum rod can cause black on cleaning patches.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X