Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning without Stripping (Various Rifles)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning without Stripping (Various Rifles)

So I went to the range this weekend. Probably the first time in about 7 years. Broke out my Mossberg 590A1 and got through 7 rounds in the magazine before 8 gave me a problem. Long story short, something is impeding the follower and I didn't like the way it was feeding. I haven't cleaned or used it in 7 years and probably hadn't cleaned it after my last use. So I took it over to a LGS today to have it looked at and worked over. But now I'm paranoid that this is going to happen to all of my guns. So before I take some rifles out this weekend, I wanted to do some cleaning and oiling without disassembling. Rough work week and just don't have the time to field strip. Thinking of taking out a GSG-5 22 and Hi Point 995TS. Any suggestions about how best to clean these without disassembling? I know the HI Point is supposed to work through dirt but who knows. Rods? Snakes? I have shooters lube on the way. Wanted to give it a shot. Any suggestions on products and procedures? Where to place the oil, things like that? Thanks in advance!

Follower problem means you need to remove the follower, spring and any plug so you can check out the tube. While you're at it check the follower, plug and spring for damage.
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Certain magazine extensions are troublesome and the follower hangs up on the shoulder where the magazine and the extension meet. Choate was one of them.

Comment

It's odd but I had no issues with it when I ran the snap caps through it. Had the pump changed and now I have the issue. Could be coincidence. But either way it's out of my hands for the next week. Gonna head to Amazon and grab some tools and try to clean my GSG and Hi-point as best I can. Any suggestions on a bore snake vs. a rod?

Comment

The follower of 590’s is usually plastic, but the spring is probably rusted and not able to move freely in the mag tube, or there can possibly be dust, carbon, or resinified oil in the tube binding up the follower or spring. The receiver is aluminum, just give it a wipe out of CLP and look for any oil that got sticky. All the other guts; shell elevator, cartridge stop/interruptor, fire control group, pins, and action rods (the two arms on the pump) are carbon steel, so clean those off throughly and apply a thin coat of quality CLP......avoid WD40 at all costs on guns.

Comment

P.S. You can learn how to completely disassemble and reassemble a Mossberg 500/590 in about 15-20 minutes of your time from YouTube videos. There are a few good ones on there.

Comment

Originally posted by HulkSmash22 View Post
              It's odd but I had no issues with it when I ran the snap caps through it. Had the pump changed and now I have the issue. Could be coincidence. But either way it's out of my hands for the next week. Gonna head to Amazon and grab some tools and try to clean my GSG and Hi-point as best I can. Any suggestions on a bore snake vs. a rod?
              I’m not a fan of the boresnake. I bought one but then wondered about cleaning it. I use the traditional bronze brush, patches etc.
              For shotgun I use a one piece fiberglass rod for the brush and a wood dowel for the patch. It saves time of swopping rod attachments or needing two rods.

Comment

Originally posted by FDEMTNYC View Post
                The follower of 590’s is usually plastic, but the spring is probably rusted and not able to move freely in the mag tube, or there can possibly be dust, carbon, or resinified oil in the tube binding up the follower or spring. The receiver is aluminum, just give it a wipe out of CLP and look for any oil that got sticky. All the other guts; shell elevator, cartridge stop/interruptor, fire control group, pins, and action rods (the two arms on the pump) are carbon steel, so clean those off throughly and apply a thin coat of quality CLP......avoid WD40 at all costs on guns.
                How about Gibbs?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

I’m not a fan of the boresnake. I bought one but then wondered about cleaning it. I use the traditional bronze brush, patches etc.
                  For shotgun I use a one piece fiberglass rod for the brush and a wood dowel for the patch. It saves time of swopping rod attachments or needing two rods.
                  I'm guessing you go from the barrel end, pushing toward the receiver?

Comment

In through chamber out the muzzle.

Comment

How about Gibbs?
                      Not familiar with it. I generally stick to Ballistol for general cleaning and rust prevention, Hoppe’s 9 for when I’m using particularly “dirty” ammo. Oils/greases: Lucas extreme duty oil and grease, Wilson Combat universal oil/oil, Lubriplate, and Kroil.

Comment

Not ideally but the only option with some firearms. There are rod guides to minimize muzzle damage on rifles. Using a fiberglass rod instead of a metal one helps too.

Comment

I appreciate the help here. Been out of this for way too long. Checking out my guns and they're pretty dirty. Gonna probably have to set up shop this weekend for cleaning and postpone the range trip a week. trying to grab what I need now on amazon prime.

Comment

If you don’t like disassembling your guns for cleaning. Buy yourself a bolt action rifle. It’s the easiest gun to keep clean
                            The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

Comment

Originally posted by Ancap View Post
                              If you don’t like disassembling your guns for cleaning. Buy yourself a bolt action rifle. It’s the easiest gun to keep clean
                              Too late. I already own way too much not-easy-to-clean stuff lol

Comment

Working...
                              X