.30-06 Semi-Autos, Cool Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickeyblueyes View Post

I don’t understand why? Aren’t they similar pressures similar rounds?
    Might have been the rifle. Might be me.
    Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

I turned my 13 y/o son off to shooting for a long while after he got himself a hematoma shooting '06 out of a 7 lb deer rifle at the range. Stupid.
      Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Reminds me when my dad took me trap shooting for the first time, I was 9. Handed me his Ithaca 12ga and I wore that badge of honor it left on my shoulder for about a week. Mom wasn’t too happy though...

Comment

Originally posted by M1ke View Post
          30-06 out of my M1 is not big deal. A 10lb gas operated gun helps with that. The same rounds out of my Dad's Winchester Model 70 will start to beat you up after a short while. Thankfully a reduced charge with H4895 and 125 grain Speers should make for a soft shooting gun. We hope to get out to the range some day when COVID starts to die off and test those loads. Dad is 74 and not taking too many chances right now.
          Yeah, I can shoot my Garand all damn day. But my 1903A3 starts to really grate on me after just 2-3 clips. So, I set it aside and go back to the .22 just for a rest.

That's when I discover I'm STILL flinching.
          To be human is to be armed.

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post
            9ED582C7-FE92-4C64-9F0B-733DB0C50685.jpeg Apparently if your were an Italian deer hunter living In Brooklyn you needed one of these. My 3 generation woodmaster carbine in 30-06
            In the old days, at the Huntington Range, some time around mid-late October we had what we called "The Bus from Edelman's" arrive, and usually a half dozen or so folks would come onto the range at one time, each of them equipped with a 742 and a scope. Most had no idea what they were doing, and didn't seem to understand that deer do not attack en masse, and that there were screens available so their hot .30-'06 brass would.t go down the backs of their neighboring shooters. Some of these folks did not even know how to unload their rifles except to fire until the mag was empty. It was....interesting. MORE interesting was meeting these folks out in the woods....
            Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post

Many years ago, I fired a friend's. It was a "742 BDL Custom Deluxe", if I recall correctly. The furniture was lighter in color and it had those black end caps with white spacers. Always liked that on the deluxe Remmies. The fore end had a basket weave pattern. Beautiful rifle.

I think the current model is 750. The line has gone through a lot of name and model changes over the years. 742, 740, 7400, Model Four, 750, etc. It hasn't seemed to have helped. It still has the nickname "Jam-O-Matic" and the article acknowledges that.

I suspect that Remington tried to come up with a gas system that would work with a wide variety of rifle calibers. But it doesn't.
              I have the 740 in '06, and the 742 in .308, .30-'06, 7mm Express (.280 Rem), and a few other calibers. Mine have not jammed once since I took each one down, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled them. I have often heard them called that, and there probably is something to it as I know folks who have no problems, and those who have nothing but problems. I lean toward opoerator /maintenance error, or incompatible ammo for those who have issues, as the folks I know with no problems are quite gun savvy, not so much with the others. YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
                I enjoyed reading that, thanks. My dad hunts with a Browning BAR, which he inherited from a relative who bought it new in the 60's.
                A friend wanted to sell his BAR in .300 Win Mag, which he purchased on his ship around 1967. Made in Belgium, it had a total of 10 rounds through it. I arranged to get it to another friend, who absolutely has a passion for Belgian made Brownings. They knew each other through me, and the seller was very happy that it was going to someone who would keep and appreciate it. That was one of the terms of me helping him, that it wouldn't go to someone who would just resell it for profit

Comment

Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post
                  I turned my 13 y/o son off to shooting for a long while after he got himself a hematoma shooting '06 out of a 7 lb deer rifle at the range. Stupid.
                  its not a hematoma its a tactical tattoo

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

I have the 740 in '06, and the 742 in .308, .30-'06, 7mm Express (.280 Rem), and a few other calibers. Mine have not jammed once since I took each one down, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled them. I have often heard them called that, and there probably is something to it as I know folks who have no problems, and those who have nothing but problems. I lean toward opoerator /maintenance error, or incompatible ammo for those who have issues, as the folks I know with no problems are quite gun savvy, not so much with the others. YMMV
                    My 742 in .243 never jammed once. The history of jamming is likely due to bad maintenance, aftermarket or damaged magazines and the very rare factory error. There is nothing inherently wrong with the guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post

My 742 in .243 never jammed once. The history of jamming is likely due to bad maintenance, aftermarket or damaged magazines and the very rare factory error. There is nothing inherently wrong with the guns.
                      >243? I need to buy one now. It will go well with the others, and the Win Model 100 in .243

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

>243? I need to buy one now. It will go well with the others, and the Win Model 100 in .243
                        Great round. With an aftermarket 10 round magazine it makes a half assed battle rifle. The .243 doesn't heat up the barrel as fast as .308 caliber rounds.

Comment

Working...
                        X