another old .22 rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another old .22 rifle

The last century was the heyday of the .22 rifle....many brands and many formats, including take-downs. As far as semi-auto's the Henry's Survival Rifle and Ruger's 10/22 takedown, introduced in 2012, are the most well known. (did not mean to dis the Remington 24 & Browning SA-22)
    When I saw the Marlin 70P Papoose, I had to have one. It was first made in 1986. It weighs 3 1/4 lbs (4lb with the tasco 3-7 scope). It is based on the Marlin 70 (now the 795). To make it more of a survival rifle the made it in stainless steel with a synthetic stock 70PSS. The small case included cleaning supplies, locking wrench and magazines
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vitaman; 01-28-2021, 05:29 PM.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

I love Marlins! I qualified my first time out at Appleseed with a Marlin 795 with the microgroove barrel, I don't think I'm a particularly great shot, I just think they make accurate stock barrels. I also have an 80's Marlin bolt action I gotta take to the range, I've kept it clean but haven't shot it in decades and I'm curious to see what it'll do now that I know how to shoot it properly. Cool Papoose, I like that wood stock vs all the synthetic ones now. I wonder if someone could mount a custom front wood stock to make it easier to grip like the Rugers.

Comment

Looks like a Model 60 with a takedown feature and chopped stock! I like it though! The model 60 is near n dear to my heart (first gun i ever shot!)

Comment

Originally posted by SemiAutoFetish View Post
        Looks like a Model 60 with a takedown feature and chopped stock! I like it though! The model 60 is near n dear to my heart (first gun i ever shot!)
        Exactly! though they cut down the marlin 70 stock

Comment

The Marlin Papoose, 60, 795 and 7000 are all siblings. The Model 60 is tube fed, 795 is a magazine fed Model 60, Papoose is a 795 takedown, the 7000 (which I had no idea even existed) is a heavy barrel 795, and the 7000 Target was the same heavy barrel but had a crazy looking red white and blue adjustable stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai View Post
            The Marlin Papoose, 60, 795 and 7000 are all siblings. The Model 60 is tube fed, 795 is a magazine fed Model 60, Papoose is a 795 takedown, the 7000 (which I had no idea even existed) is a heavy barrel 795, and the 7000 Target was the same heavy barrel but had a crazy looking red white and blue adjustable stock.
            This is a shot of the stock of an old Marlin 60. You can see a magazine cutout was already milled into it
            Attached Files

Comment

• Banzai
              Banzai commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, that's cool!

Very nice rifle. Looks like it's been well maintained.

Comment

You have to love old 22s. One of my favorites to shoot is my Ithaca lever action.

Comment

• Vitaman
                Vitaman commented
                Editing a comment
                The Ithaca m49 was my first

• Pat M
                Pat M commented
                Editing a comment
                The first two rifles we had in my parents' house....Marlin 101 and Ithaca 49.

• Banzai
                Banzai commented
                Editing a comment
                Pic!!

I have quite a few marlins but that model has always evaded me.

Comment

Working...
              X