Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honing my O/U skills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Honing my O/U skills

    So a couple months back I picked up a new O/U. A Franchi instinct with a 28" barrel. The gun is beautiful and shoulders very comfortably. I used to shoot trap with an 870 supermag. The last time I shot trap with the 870 I was shooting low 20's. The best I had that day was 23. I have been consistent in this area for a long time. When I brought out the O/U I couldn't do better than 14. Now obviously I realize this is a new gun that I need to get used to, and there are a million other factors. I am just wondering if there is anything that you need to do differently with an O/U vs a single barrel gun. I am aware that the barrels are slightly angled so the shot will be at the same location at 30 yards regardless of which barrel is being used. Do you sight differently or track differently with the O/U? I plan on going out again next weekend and have another go at it.
    “The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
    Alexander Hamilton

    #2
    Try patterning your gun. See where the spread is. That's probably the big difference you are dealing with.

    Comment


      #3
      Is the gun labeled a trap model? Field model? Some models have different point of aim

      Comment


        #4
        Does it have 2 beads on the top barrel. One mid length and one at the end of the barrel?

        If so when you mount it are they in line or is the front bead above or below the mid bead?

        Comment


          #5
          It has more to do with the drop (measurement down to the stock from the rib height) and pitch (angle of recoil pad in the rear in relationship to the barrel ) than any thing. The new gun may not fit you the same as the 870. This is a direct correlation to where the gun shoots as compared to where you are looking. Take measurements of both guns and see if they are the same. For pitch, lay both guns buttstock down on the floor next to each other up against a wall. Move the gun towards the wall until the receivers touch the wall. Both barrels should be the same distance away from the wall if the pitch is the same. If they are different, which I'm almost certain that they will be, there is the start of the problem.
          Nothing that cannot be fixed or overcome though so don't worry.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by DrBrianDDS View Post
            Is the gun labeled a trap model? Field model? Some models have different point of aim
            Not labeled
            “The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
            Alexander Hamilton

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by mossy930spx View Post
              Does it have 2 beads on the top barrel. One mid length and one at the end of the barrel?

              If so when you mount it are they in line or is the front bead above or below the mid bead?
              Single site at the end of the barrel
              “The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
              Alexander Hamilton

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Yaphank Kid View Post
                It has more to do with the drop (measurement down to the stock from the rib height) and pitch (angle of recoil pad in the rear in relationship to the barrel ) than any thing. The new gun may not fit you the same as the 870. This is a direct correlation to where the gun shoots as compared to where you are looking. Take measurements of both guns and see if they are the same. For pitch, lay both guns buttstock down on the floor next to each other up against a wall. Move the gun towards the wall until the receivers touch the wall. Both barrels should be the same distance away from the wall if the pitch is the same. If they are different, which I'm almost certain that they will be, there is the start of the problem.
                Nothing that cannot be fixed or overcome though so don't worry.
                Good info. I'll measure things up tomorrow. Maybe I'll look you up next weekend.
                “The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
                Alexander Hamilton

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by GunsNGolf View Post

                  Maybe I'll look you up next weekend.
                  Probably your best bet

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Also try just using the bottom barrel, with the correct choke, every one gravitates to the top barrel, but use the bottom.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by GunsNGolf View Post

                      Good info. I'll measure things up tomorrow. Maybe I'll look you up next weekend.
                      I will be away competing next weekend. If you need me, I will be around the following Sunday.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        A lot has to do with how it fits you. And it probably fits you different than your 870, so it won't shoot to the same point of aim that you see.

                        The other thing is gun mass. The 870 is obviously much lighter than the o/u. So you'll naturally swing the 870 faster than you will the o/u. So, you could be shooting behind many targets as you're not used to the heavier gun. I have the opposite problem when I go from shooting my regular 12 ga o/u, to a lightweight 1100 20 ga. The 1100 feels so light that I tend to over swing past many targets and shoot way ahead of them.

                        This is just a matter of getting used to the weight, and balance of the new gun. But first you need to make sure it fits you properly.
                        Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
                        Certified NROI RSO

                        Member Freeport R&R

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I'd also note. There's no fucking wood smith on Long Island. If you need it fit I suggest you plan to send your gun out of state.

                          Ask me me how I know... after a local master wood smith fucked my beretta new wood up.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I'm a rifle guy as you can tell by my handle but I just picked up a Franchi SL 28" myself. I've always wanted to get an over/under but never could justify the expense compared to my shooting skills. I'm still perfecting my broadside of the barn technique. Don't get me wrong, I can hit a flying garbage can lid half the time, clay pigeons, not so much.

                            Of all the shotguns this one just felt right. I also can't believe I bought my first foreign made firearm too.

                            I know gun tests gave it a B+ in its reviews but having read that periodical for years the things they ding a firearm are unbelievable but at the same time I can since that is their job: splitting hairs.

                            Now this spring, the trick will be finding the time to get out to Suffolk Trap and Skeet to practice. I wish Nassau county had a range.
                            "No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -- New York State Surrogate Court Judge Gideon John Tucker, Final Accounting in the Estate of A.B._, 1, Tucker (N.Y. Surrogate Court) 247, 249 (1866)

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X