Mossberg 590A1 Magazine Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mossberg 590A1 Magazine Issue

I’ll update with a photo later but putting this up now hoping maybe someone can help. My follower is stuck. If I take the nut off the end of the magazine, there’s a whitish/clearish piece holding the spring in the magazine. Any idea what this is and how I should go about removing it? Want to get in there and clean everything up. Thanks!

Magazine or tube? Is this a standard shotgun or one of those new detachable magazine ones?

Comment

If it’s between the tube nut and the spring - it’s a cap to keep the spring in place. I believe that it can be piped out with a screw driver.

Not responsible if it doesn’t work.

Comment

Originally posted by E View Post
        Magazine or tube? Is this a standard shotgun or one of those new detachable magazine ones?
        Tube. I don’t think it’s detachable but I honestly don’t know yet.

Comment

Originally posted by HulkSmash22 View Post

Tube. I don’t think it’s detachable but I honestly don’t know yet.
          To clarify - they now make shotguns with a detachable box magazine like an AR. I assume it’s not that based on your response. See my post above it’s probably the plastic cap. But send pics when you can

Comment

You're asking about the plastic inner cap that holds the spring in the tube?
            You can just pry it out with a screwdriver. Work it out a little at a time in a circle.
            Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket.

Comment

On my Shockwave (basically the same gun), removing the magazine end cap doesn't allow the spring and follower to come out. There's a magazine spring retainer holding it all in. The manual shows it but doesn't say how to remove it. I've never removed the spring and follower. Why do you want to?
              No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by cas View Post
                You're asking about the plastic inner cap that holds the spring in the tube?
                You can just pry it out with a screwdriver. Work it out a little at a time in a circle.
                So, it's just pressed in? That's kind of what the manual says. But it doesn't say how to get it out.

If your 590/835 shotgun is equipped with a magazine spring
                retainer, prior to putting on the magazine cap, assemble the
                magazine spring retainer over the protruding magazine spring.
                Push the retainer downward inside of the magazine tube so that
                the spring retainer is flush with the magazine tube end.

Comment

Just pry it out, in a circle, a little at a time. Check youtube.
                  Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket.

Comment

... and don't let the spring hit you in the face.

Or the NNYUTZ!!

Anyplace else is okay.

Comment

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. Hopefully will be able to get to this tonight. If not, tomorrow.

Comment

Well, this I’ve never seen. Started to take off accessories so I could break the gun down and see what’s up. I have a mount for my flashlight that goes between the barrel and the magazine tube. As soon as I loosened the screws, my follower popped back up to the top. WTF. Apparently the screws were too tight but how the hell do you clamp a magazine tube to the point to it obstructs the follower??? Didn’t even know that was possible.

Comment

Sounds like you squeezed/distorted the tube into an oval shape when you tightened your mount hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
                            Sounds like you squeezed/distorted the tube into an oval shape when you tightened your mount hardware.
                            Not that bad. But squeezed enough that the follower couldn’t pass that part of the tube and when it got shoved down there with Ammo, it wouldn’t come back up. I’ll run a full tube of snap caps tomorrow to make sure no permanent damage was done. But that’s crazy that mounting hardware can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by HulkSmash22 View Post

Not that bad. But squeezed enough that the follower couldn’t pass that part of the tube and when it got shoved down there with Ammo, it wouldn’t come back up. I’ll run a full tube of snap caps tomorrow to make sure no permanent damage was done. But that’s crazy that mounting hardware can do that.
                              Too many times, we humans think that tight is ok, but tighter is better. When you are dealing with small hardware, that is spec'd to be tightened in inch-pounds, you would be surprised to see how far you go over the recommended spec without using a torque driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X