Trench gun & Riot gun - Destro collection - 500+ pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post
    What is the “13” for? Replicating and inventory or unit number?
    Dan Marino’s jersey number.

Comment

Going to post some individual oddballs in this accumulation/collection that fit my idea of the trench/riot gun aesthetic. Then I'll go back to habitually posting some groupings (prohibition era, WWI era, more Vietnam war guns are coming up). Feel free to go back through the pages, probably a lot you may have missed, the 500 pics (counting the breakdown of collages) will not be clickbait in this one.

It's an ambitious and time consuming thread. A lot of guns have to be lugged out and re-shot, new stuff is coming in every month, then the photo processing (which can alone take hours at this volume), etc. takes a lot of time at a time in my life when I'm coaching 4 hour soccer games/practices on Saturday and getting 3 hours of sleep each night. I sometimes miss the old Canadian forum days when I could drink bourbon and airbrush zombies on rifle until 2am, though I'm way more productive (and spent) these days.

-------------------------------------------------

Anyway here we have a lovable oddball that was actually on the other end of the law. Most of the riot shotguns here are duty guns, but this was a police confiscation out of IL, where they auction the seized bad guys guns. It is much in the spirit of the early gangster "whippets" (see the Rem 11 post a few pages back with Bonnie & Clyde, Dillinger etc.). After the world wars it was both LE and the criminals which cut back shotguns and made their own HD shotgun market before one commercially emerged post-WW2.

This is Browning A5 "Light12" from the mid 1950s turned ugly and cut back with a a sling and shell carrier riveted to the stock. When I called in the auction, the guy on the phone said "Oh, yeah, the Mad Max gun." Perfect.

A5whippet1.jpg
      A5whippet3.jpg

A5whippet4.jpg

A5whippet5.jpg
      Last edited by Destro; 10-21-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Also haven't gotten around to the "modern era" riot guns which include contemporary duty guns as well as some modern tribute guns or shottys inspired by the "trench gun aesthetic".

Here is a plane-jane Mossberg 500A I picked up from Karp's when I was getting some Henry's. I always ask for deals for project guns. Anyway it was refinished and got a vintage heat shield, new corn-cob fore-end and two tone moly resin paint job. A simple but fun project, and I've been seeing some commercial versions with retro-flair lately.

tiger_1.jpg

tiger_2.jpg

tiger_3.jpg

tiger_4.jpg

tiger_5.jpg

tiger_6.jpg

Goes along with the Retro-Pin Up Girl rack I made for some of the trench guns (got a few of these lined up in a modular line, different themes)

retro_rack.jpg

Comment

sweet

Comment

update.

When I started out this thread it was a little ambitious with about 100 guns in this collection --including project guns and model duplicates--and the presentation has become a bit unwieldy.Nevertheless I'll just unload a few more and touch upon them along with their era.

Remington Model 10 Riot - World War I era

Rem10A_1.jpg

The Model 10 Trench Gun is an iconic gun of WW1, alongside the Win 1897. It is where "trench" guns got their name. Finding an actual example is difficult, with the last authentic one in high grade that I've seen was asking $40K.

The Remington Model 10 was a famous John Pederson design and was manufactured between 1908 and 1929.

Here are two nice examples of the Rem Model 10 in the same length as the trench gun version. The Trench Gun only had a wooden heat shield and small attachable bayonet lug at the end.

Remington Model 10 Ribbed Barrel
            R10_1.jpg

Remington Model 10A - very handsome example
            Rem10A_2.jpg

Winchester 1897 Trench Gun IAC repro (modern repro of WW1 era)

Nor1897_1.jpg

Here is a IAC/Norinco repro of an iconic WW1 Win 1897 trench gun. The repros were a limited time thing and actually fetch over $1500 in aucitons these days ($300-some when they came out in the 2000s) In the SASS/Cowboy/Wild Bunch competition forums many modify these and they actually state the Chinese steel is pretty good, though the internals often need polishing. There is a guy who polishes these out for the cowboy competitive circuit.​

Stevens 520 1920s FACTORY Riot Gun

Stevens520riot_1.jpg

The John Browning design 520 "humpback" is one of my favorite designs, evocative of the Art Deco era. I touched upon it as a "gansta gun" used during the Prohibition era, by the likes of Bonnie and Clyde, and Dillinger as well as Ness and the "untouchables" back when LE/HD shotguns were not really a thing and had to be modded.

Here is a great factory riot example.

Winchester 1897 - 100 year old Custom
            Win1897cus_1.jpg

An iconic trench gun and shotgun, this 1897 got a modern retro custom treatment. Totally re-parked, a +1 magazine (remember they held under 2-3/4" shells back then) and modern sights.
            Really a very cool treatment of a classic that I seek out for an eclectic collection like this.

WInchester Model 12 WW2 Trench Gun Clone

WM12_4.jpg

Model 12s like many trench guns were take-downs and slam-fired (fan-fired). Here is a clone made off a late 1930s Win M12, that had a cutts comp on a long barrel. It was cut down and fitted with WW2 military furniture and correct sling attachments, as well as a repro heatshield/bayo lug which I coated in a green park finish.

WM12_1.jpg

WM12_2.jpg

Winchester M1200 Vietnam Riot Gun

Win1200Nam_1.jpg

I featured the more iconic Ithaca 37 and Savage 77E Vietnam shotguns earlier in this thread, but the M1200 had a great no-nonsense look to it. On the military forums I found that many servicemen were dismayed when the contract ran out and they replaced it with Mossbergs.

_________

Updated Note About Collecting Trenchguns

In the late 2000s, military guns have seen a high demand and premium in collecting. Trench Guns certainly followed suit. Mil Surp is simply drying up and a new generation has disposable income. You are less likely to find stashes of American mil surp in some dusty warehouse abroad, and the more iconic collectible examples fetch a high premium. This is all before the pandemic where an HD shotgun inflated market skyrocketed prices on those riot guns.

A resurgence in interests over-flowed to the 60s-80s LE shotgun market where phased out models (S&W, High Standards) and classics like Ithaca Police Specials and early Remington Wingmasters fetch over a grand. This reminds me a bit of the muscle car market when 60s cars began fetching record amounts, and it heightened an interest in rarer late 70s and even 80s models.

In any case trench guns are harder to authenticate, not being as overseen in USGI production as say, M1 Carbines, etc. but Bruce Canfield's book "Combat Shotguns" is the "bible" for this category, with lots of specific indicators, serial numbers, etc. to help ID the real McCoy.

Comment

It's fun to look at the pictures.
              Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                It's fun to look at the pictures.
                Better yet, it's inspirational.
                Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Always looking to buy trench guns, police trade-in riot guns, and prison guns. WW1-present.

destrosbuying.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X