Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are our volunteer fire fighters at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are our volunteer fire fighters at?

Thinking about joining my local FD when I become eligible. Any advice?
    "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Don't sit in the front row of recliners.

Comment

You're going to be on probation for a year, so expect to be manning the ambulance and the hydrants (what I was told...may be different by you). It also takes a month or two before you're sworn in. After that you're required to take classes and in-person training at the station and fire academy.

Ask a lot of questions and learn the trucks/ambulance, specifically where everything is and what it does.

I'm going through the process right now - so feel free to message me with any questions.
      “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Good luck to both of you.It's a lot of work and a lot of time but well worth it.I did 19 years in a truck company in Nassau.

Comment

I think one of the universal truths for being a a probie is to keep you mouth shut and your ears and eyes open. Sometime that’s a literal statement and other times a bit more figurative. You be the judge of which is appropriate when.

Comment

All advice applies, plus you'll be washing trucks and expected to work all the functions while on probation.

It's not that much crow to swallow, but is definitely worth it! Make sure you stay squared away and don't do stupid shit (yeah, it has to be said)!

Comment

Sit back, shut up and listen. You may know how to do something but let them tell you anyway.

Always great your senior (not aged) firefighters with a handshake and offer up your seat

ask questions, even the most mundane ones

show up for meetings, truck inspections, work details. always ask the person running the event when it’s over if there’s anything you can do before leaving

what department?

im 36, have full time job, 2 kids. I’m required to make 20% of points (including trainings and such). I’m at 57.77% for the year. It is not volunteer anymore between the pension, tax break, etc. It is a secondary job in a sense. They are depending on you actually being active as is your community. It is not easy, it is ALOT of work and is demanding. Just know that before signing up.

i joined because I love helping others and love taking pride in it. That being said, wish I had done it earlier in life
              Last edited by Heartlessmcfly; 07-25-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Rocky Point
                "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by 1895guy View Post
                  Rocky Point
                  Oh youll be busy there! Good luck!

Comment

i just moved in and need to be a resident for a year before im eligible. So some time to think about it and get ready for it.

Comment

i just moved in and need to be a resident for a year before im eligible. So some time to think about it and get ready for it.
                      My advice, call the dispatch office and see about doing a meet and greet. They’ll show you around and give you the ropes prior to joining. This would be the time to ask questions such as what is demanded of you, type of work you’ll be getting into.

Once you join, you’ll have a year to complete firefighter 1 course at the Suffolk fire academy. They have different options available for the course so you’ll pick one that works for your schedule. This course is NOT optional and needs to be done within 1 year of joining. After that course is done, you’ll be a half shield. Once you’ve been in a year and completed the course (providing your points are up to standards), you’ll be taken off probation and be a firefighter. (Keep in mind, you’re still the “probie”).

If if you enjoy helping people, it’s awesome. It’s a big sacrifice leaving your family at the dinner table, leaving them at holidays, waking up at 2am to respond to a stupid automatic alarm just to go to work at 5am. You are sacrificing your “free time” to aid those in need.

if you are planning on going to any Suffolk school, you get reimbursed for tuition based on your grades too FYI

Comment

Consider the SCPD Auxiliary Police as well. You'll help the same people, see some of the same stuff, get training that's just as good, get some of the same camaraderie, and get different but equitable fringe benefits.

Comment

Rocky Point
                          Which house are you closest to? I was in RPFD for 7 or so years (Company 2, the one on King) before moving.
                          Brandon

NRA LIFE | SAF | UT / NH / FL / CT / NY CCW | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post

Consider the SCPD Auxiliary Police as well. You'll help the same people, see some of the same stuff, get training that's just as good, get some of the same camaraderie, and get different but equitable fringe benefits.
                            i was thinking about that as well... seems its harder to find ppl with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by xcentrk View Post

Which house are you closest to? I was in RPFD for 7 or so years (Company 2, the one on King) before moving.
                              Closest to Station 1

Comment

Working...
                              X