Ahhh the joys of public spending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahhh the joys of public spending

So apparently the 7.25M for the Rocky Point fire house was not enough and they need another million to finish. Thank you to all the Volys but damn am i tired of these temples we are building and calling fire houses.
    "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Originally posted by 1895guy View Post
    So apparently the 7.25M for the Rocky Point fire house was not enough and they need another million to finish. Thank you to all the Volys but damn am i tired of these temples we are building and calling fire houses.
    Is that the one across from/near Brookhaven range. They've been building that thing forever.
    The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

Yeah... strip malls aside, when the firehouse is the largest building in town, there's a problem.
      Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket.

Comment

We had to throw down with the FD in Centerport about twenty years ago.
        Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post

Is that the one across from/near Brookhaven range. They've been building that thing forever.
          No, that's the Ridge one. That's another story completely. We are doing work there and it's a mess. I am actually working on some shit for them right this very second. The Mid-Island fire house is over schedule and over budget too. East Setauket got a new castle as well.

Comment

But,but I Volunteer .....

Comment

I’m more put off by the massive spending on ball fields at all the local high schools. Johnny can do arithmetic but he gets to play under the lights on Friday night instead of Saturday afternoon.

I am not a Vol but after seeing one old fire house in town get destroyed by a fire not long ago I wonder if the cost of renovating or building new houses isn’t related to more more modern safety systems and larger trucks/equipment?
              "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
              Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
              Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Originally posted by artburg View Post
                But,but I Volunteer .....
                There’s a bunch here. But you know all too well it’s all politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post
                  I’m more put off by the massive spending on ball fields at all the local high schools. Johnny can do arithmetic but he gets to play under the lights on Friday night instead of Saturday afternoon.

I am not a Vol but after seeing one old fire house in town get destroyed by a fire not long ago I wonder if the cost of renovating or building new houses isn’t related to more more modern safety systems and larger trucks/equipment?
                  It all kills me. Lets be honest... we are all happy to hang out with our friends in a dirty hunting cabin and play cards on a piece of plywood and some saw horses. Im fine if the old building is unsafe but do we really need multimillion dollar taj mahals? or can we build steel garages with a kitchen and a meeting room?
                  "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Some of the money wasted by Volunteer Fire Departments would astound you.
                    My favorite is the East Farmingdale Fire Dept had a Dive team.
                    East Farmingdale is a land locked town with no lakes or rivers.

Still, the Volunteer system probably saves us millions.
                    Could you imagine what it would cost if Cuomo ran it?
                    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

My hunch is these firehouses are not built for the benefit of either the town or the volunteers. Rather, they are built for bragging rights of the politicians come election time.
                      Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

I always thought they were built nice to draw in volunteers. You know a nice place to hang out and get away from the wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post

Partially, but the cost of the rec room alone is excessive.

If the cost of anything beyond bare bones exceeds the pay that would be needed to run it, I'd say we have a problem.

Comment

where else can you find a soda machine with $ 1 cans of beer

Comment

I know a guy that got called in for a job at Coram FD. Wrote up a bill that he would for any normal person. He got told by the other builders AND the fire dept themselves that they can't take that bill. It need to be much much higher. That tells you how this whole thing works.

Comment

Working...
                              X