Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @cm10005 commented
        11-24-2021, 10:17 AM
        Very true, but outside of the NYC area people think the NYPD is the greatest police department in the world. So, you have an advantage when getting hired outside of NY. If they only knew the truth lol.
    SO true. I've been to LE training all over the country and the NYPD always has a special place. Saying you're in the NYPD (especially in the crazy early 90's) was a complete Badge of Honor in LE circles - and still to me, for what they're going through on top of the criminal element.
    When I left the NYPD for a department in "East Cupcake, Long Island", I felt like I left the Marine Corps and joined the Air Force. Now there's certainly nothing wrong with the airdales, thank God for them, but I'd imagine it's very different. The AF is much easier and you treated much better.

“The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
    Algernon Blackwood

Comment

I'm shocked the percentage is only just over 50%

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

I’d imagine the pay cut holds for just about any job leaving NY for a free state. But the reduction in cost of living is also pretty universal.
        It’s not what you make. It’s what you get to keep that counts.
        Regarding pension..... procrastination is your enemy. Get out while you’re young if at all possible..
        Sure, if you can just take your wife and kids and move away to another state, may very well be worth it. Going from making $120K in NYC to $25 - $30K after 3 years somewhere else may not work for many.
        I knew NYPD guys who almost didn't take NCPD or SCPD because of their mortgages and the extreme pay cut starting in those departments. Imagine having a mortgage and all other bills, making $120K, then having to go down to $35K for a few years, and not making that $120K until year 5, 6 or 7 in the new job. You'd lose $80K the first year, $70 the second year, 60 the next, etc. How many years of making the 'big bucks' of LI departments until you break even? It's not as easy a decision as you think, especially if you don't have a large savings account to draw from to make up the difference.
        “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
        Algernon Blackwood

Comment

• Barnslayer
          Barnslayer commented
          Editing a comment
          The assumption is if you move to a place like TN or SC your mortgage would be a fraction of what you were dealing with on Long Island. Then there's property taxes. You've been looking, so you know it's common to have $2K a year instead of $20K.
          Hindsight is 20/20

• Dan 0351
          Dan 0351 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, like I posted, it could work out if you were to leave and go to another state. Not many I know are prepared to do that though due to kids in school, family that's local, etc.

• SemiAutoFetish
          SemiAutoFetish commented
          Editing a comment
          Another reason why LI suburban life blows...it just costs too dam much!

Originally posted by surly View Post
        I completely agree, but that's a whole problem in itself. Guys either chase the dollar or are scared of the uncertainty. Its hard to stop doing something you've done for 20+ years .Sounds like a no brainer but until you're in their shoes its all talk.
        It's much easier to say than do, but taking the risk while you're young is the optimum time. I missed the boat and regret having stayed in NY. It's much harder to find a job situation at the end of your career.
        Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Someone I know well from the NYPD just took the incentive that is being offered by DeSantis down in FL. He knows it will be a pay cut but he is thrilled to get out of here. He will be in Naples by next month.

Comment

• SemiAutoFetish
            SemiAutoFetish commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe they actually like cops in those parts??? Good for him

• Mike103
            Mike103 commented
            Editing a comment
            Naples and near by Marco Island are full of ex NYPD. The Chief of Marco Island sister was a the Chief of Personal in the NYPD.

The Collier county sheriffs are fantastic.
        Working...
        X